What a weekend! As I mentioned in my post on Friday I took a field trip to The Breakers and White Hall in Palm Beach before setting off for my packed Saturday in Orlando at FLBlogCon13. I’ll get to my visit to Palm Beach later in the week, but I wanted to do a little recap of my experience at FLBlogCon while it’s still fresh in my mind.
I was not entirely sure what to expect of this conference, it wasn’t geared toward a certain genre of blogger like the ones I attended previously which made me a bit skeptical. All those anxieties went out the door when I saw the amount of attendees and began to interact with them. So many great blogs and bloggers from around the state of Florida that I had never known about. Here is a list of the five things I learned at the conference.
1. Make a media kit! And have that media kit ready for all inquiries. I’ve always had some trouble understanding what exactly a media kit is, but Katie put it into language that I could easily comprehend. It’s a resume for your blog, that simple. I’m dabbling with the idea of offering media kit design services, let me know if you would be interested!
2. Monetizing your blog works differently for everyone. This was encouraging and discouraging all at the same time. Jeanette, who author’s J’s Everyday Fashion, disclosed that 80% of her income comes from affiliate links. It’s taken me 2+ years and I haven’t even reached the payout limit with the affiliate I use. But I must say I have gotten more exposure for my services which I think is a plus.
3. Don’t eat shrimp and grits when it’s 90˚. It was bad, but the ice cream made up for it.
4. Sign up for Klout because Pam from The Marketing Nut says so.
5. Network, network, network even if it’s out of your comfort zone. Reach out to other bloggers and creatives in your area because having a blog, whatever it may be about, is a creative endeavor and you can’t do it alone.
Hear, hear! I was totally out of my comfort zone, but from the moment I walked in every one was SO nice! Love your post!
Thanks, Nicole! Not sure how we missed each other at the conference! But there were so many people there!
Love this post! It was my first time at a conference and it was a little difficult at first to step out of my comfort zone and start talking to people but as soon as I did everyone was so nice! And your shrimp and grits was funny, and true….always go with salad and ice cream, it evens out right!
Hi Marianne! It was great meeting you at FL Blog Con! I completely agree that it is so important to network. I was timid in the beginning portion of the day but as I met more and more people it became second nature to swap blog business cards and mingle!
Great meeting you too! Excited to start following Sunshine Bloggers to meet even more FL bloggers!
Network, network, network… I will take this as an “Buen Consejo” I really need to improve this area. Gracias por compartir estos consejos.
How did we not meet?!! 🙁 I second #3, don’t eat ANYTHING in 90 degree weather! Ick, it made me sick and I had to leave early. So lame.
The morning was great though and I would love to attend again next year.
Hi! Not sure how our paths didn’t cross while there! But I’m following you on twitter, fb, and pinterest now so I’ll be sure to keep in touch! Totally agree with your comment about Florida history – I felt a little dumb not knowing all that much about Flagler. And, yes, add Freiburg to your list! It’s a really good location for day trips.